Africa is a continent with very rich and diverse cultures, ranging from East to West, North to South. Just like art, fashion and tradition, food is also a major cultural characteristic of African countries, with each country having its own various delicacies.
For the Love-of-food, here are some well-known African dishes.
- Jollof Rice: One of the most popular and somewhat controversial dishes in West Africa, Jollof Rice is made of rice cooked with tomato sauce and red pepper. This delicacy, which has several variations within Africa, is usually served with chicken or any protein of choice.
- Waakye: This popular Ghanaian dish is similar to the Jamaican Rice and Peas. It gets its redness from sorghum millet stalks and is often served with pasta, boiled egg, shito (a popular Ghanaian sauce) and avocado.
- Muamba de Galinha: Also known as Angolan Chicken Stew, this dish that gets its unique flavour from palm oil. The spicy stew is usually served with yucca (cassava) or rice.
- Kitfo: This is one of the most popular dishes in Ethiopia. The meat based dish is served raw or slightly sautéed with mild fresh cheese, cooked green vegetables and a kocho (thick bread).
- Yassa: A Senegalese delicacy made with onions and either chicken, lamb or fish. When made with chicken, it is referred to as Poulet Yassa, chicken yassa. The chicken is marinated in onion, lemon juice and mustard before being cooked.
“I am not a great cook, I am not a great artist, but I love art and I love food, so I am the perfect traveler” – Michael Palin
P.S. Keep an eye out for a TrekBuyFly Gastronomy Tour coming soon!!!